The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) on Saturday announced names of candidates for 39 of the total 40 Lok Sabha seats in Bihar. The candidate for the seat in Khagaria, which has gone to the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP), has been left out as LJP chief Ram Vilas Paswan said there were several claimants to it.BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain, who had contested from the Bhagalpur seat in the 2014 Lok Sabha poll but was defeated by Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) candidate Bulo Mandal, has been dropped this time.Social mixA good mix of social compulsions is also seen in the list. — 13 seats have gone to upper caste candidates, 12 to Other Backward Classes (OBC), seven to Economically Backward Classes (EBC) and six to Scheduled Castes (SC). One seat — Kishanganj — has been given to a Muslim candidate, Mehmood Ashraf, from the JD(U)’s quota.Of the 17 seats in its quota, the BJP has fielded 10 upper castes candidates, five OBC candidates, one EBC candidate and one SC candidate. Similarly, the JD(U), too, has tried to balance caste composition by six tickets each to OBC and EBC candidates. It has also fielded two upper caste, two SC and one Muslim candidate.As was widely expected, rebel BJP MP from Patna Sahib Shatrughan Sinha, too, was out of the NDA list. Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has replaced Mr. Sinha. The latter is likely to join the Congress in the coming days, and is expected to contest from the Patna Sahib seat against Mr. Prasad. Both Mr. Sinha and Mr. Prasad belong to the upper caste Kayastha community, which has a sizeable presence in this BJP stronghold constituency. Five sitting BJP MPs — Satish Chandra Dubey from Valmikinagar, Janak Ram from Gopalgunj, Om Prakash Yadav from Siwan, Birendra Chaudhury from Jhanjharpur and Hari Manjhi from Gaya (reserved) seats — have been dropped, too, as these seats have gone to the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) kitty under the alliance’s seat distribution.
China’s Zhang Shuai, left, and Australia’s Samantha Stosur celebrate a point win over France’s Kristina Mladenovic and Hungary’s Timea Babos during the women’s doubles final at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Friday, Jan. 25, 2019. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)MELBOURNE, Australia — The unseeded pairing of Sam Stosur and Zhang Shuai have won their first Grand Slam doubles title together, beating defending champions and No. 2-seeded Timea Babos and Kristina Mladenovic 6-3, 6-4 in the final.Australia’s Stosur now owns three major doubles championships, adding this to wins with Lisa Raymond at the 2005 U.S. Open and 2006 French Open. She also won the 2011 U.S. Open singles trophy.ADVERTISEMENT Russell Westbrook’s 15th triple-double leads Thunder past Pelicans View comments ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LATEST STORIES Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town The victory Friday was the 10th in a row for Stosur and China’s Zhang. Their most recent loss was against Babos and Mladenovic at last year’s U.S. Open.Stosur is the first Australian to win the women’s doubles title at the country’s Grand Slam tournament since Alicia Molik teamed with Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia in 2005.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town MOST READ Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting
(Attawapiskat ice road diamond mine blockade. Photo courtesy of Jonathan Nakogee)By Jorge Barrera APTN National News ATTAWAPISKAT–Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence says the OPP have arrived in the community and the people blockading an ice road leading to a De Beers diamond mine would likely be served with an injunction ordering them off the site on Saturday evening.Spence said the band received a call from De Beers saying a sheriff would be flying into the community and then escorted to the ice road blockade to serve the people at the site with the injunction notice.“We had a call from De Beers saying the sheriff is coming in town,” said Spence. “Two OPP are in town and they are the ones who are going to escort the sheriff to hand over the notice to the blockaders.”Spence said she was trying to confirm a rumour that the OPP would also be escorting De Beers-bound trucks toward the Victor mine site later Saturday.“I have to go find out,” said Spence.The blockade outside Attawapiskat on the ice road leading to the mine has been in place since last Sunday.De Beers obtained an injunction against the blockaders on Friday.firstname.lastname@example.org@JorgeBarrera
APTN National NewsHalf of First Nations children in Canada are living below the poverty line a new study indicates.The number jumps to nearly two thirds in Manitoba and Saskatchewan according to a study released Wednesday by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives and Save the Children Canada.“The report’s findings that half of status First Nation children live in poverty should shock all Canadians,” said Patricia Erb, President and CEO of Save the Children, in a statement. “Looking beyond the numbers to the impact of poverty on the lives of Indigenous children explains why Save the Children is currently growing our programming in Canada.”The number drops when looking at Metis, Inuit, and non-status Indian children to 27 per cent and brings the total to nearly 40 per cent for all Indigenous children living in poverty compared to 15 per cent of non-Indigenous children.Some of the differences in child poverty appear to be where they are from. Federally funded on-reserve children faced the most hardships compared to those who lived off reserve.The federal government funds on-reserve social services, health care, education and income supports.According to the study transfer payments for these social services on-reserve have increased two per cent a year since 1996 and isn’t adjusted for population growth or need.“The removal of this cap on funding growth and an adjustment of transfers for need could reduce the alarming rate of status First Nations households living in poverty. It is a matter of choice,” said a portion of the study’s executive summary. “The failure of ongoing policies is clear. The link between the denial of basic human rights for Indigenous children and their poverty is equally clear.”The study examined child poverty statistics from the 2006 census, the most recent data available according to the authors.According to the statistics Indigenous children fall behind on family income, ability to receive an education, crowding and homelessness, poor water quality, infant mortality, health and suicide.“The Indigenous population is the fastest growing in Canada. With adequate and sustained support these people will become an integral part of society and the workforce–particularly as baby boomers retire,” said Daniel Wilson, Indigenous rights advocate and co-author of the study. “But if we refuse to address the crushing poverty facing Indigenous children, we will ensure the crisis of socioeconomic marginalization and wasted potential will continue.”Nearly $7.5 billion would be need to bring all children up to the poverty line suggested the email@example.com