Norway’s Government Pension Fund Global is the most active of sovereign wealth funds (SWF) when it comes to engaging with listed companies, a survey by BNY Mellon has found.According to the bank’s annual investor relations survey, 65% of companies said they had been approached by or engaged with SWFs during 2015, up by 8 percentage points since 2013.It found that 42% of companies had contact with Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM), responsible for Norway’s NOK7.1trn (€733bn) sovereign fund, once again ranking as the most active of SWFs captured in the survey.Singapore’s GIC approached 38% of respondents and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority 30%. Fellow Singaporean sovereign investor Temasek Holdings came a distant fourth, with 18% of companies reporting correspondence with it, while 16% reported activity from the Kuwait Investment Authority.Christopher Kearns, chief executive of BNY Mellon’s depositary receipts businesses, said that while companies continued to build on existing engagement with companies, there had been an “interesting” shift in behaviour.“Responses indicate that, after a post-crisis period focused almost solely on investors amid intense competition for capital, companies now are devoting more time to other [investor relations] activities, such as board member involvement, enhancing senior managers’ visibility and improving relationships with analysts.”NBIM, one of the world’s largest asset owners, has stepped up its focus on corporate governance in recent years.It now publishes its voting intentions for select votes ahead of meetings, rather than simply disclosing how it voted after the fact.In 2014 alone, NBIM held 2,641 meetings with companies, voting at 10,519 general meetings.However, there have been calls for NBIM to be even more assertive in its engagement efforts.Speaking to IPE after the Norwegian Ministry of Finance indicated the sovereign fund could soon increase its equity allocation, Rob Lake, who in 2013 helped review the fund’s responsible investment (RI) strategy and led the RI team at Dutch pension manager APG, said the sovereign fund’s caution currently held it back.“Given their scale, a slightly more assertive position might be appropriate,” Lake said.“But it’s always a delicate balance for them because big public statements by an investor of that kind can be very destabilising – and that isn’t desirable either.”
Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit. (file photo)Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit says the purchasing of shares from regional air carrier LIAT could bring tremendous benefits to Dominica. The Prime Minister announced last week that final arrangements to own shares in the airline will take place in 2012. “If we are to play any part in enhancing LIAT’s operations, if we are to play any part in securing the service of LIAT in Dominica, we have to become shareholders in LIAT both at the board level and also at the shareholder level. I believe that those in tourism should welcome that decision by government, those in the wider economy and even we as ordinary users of the services of LIAT would need to welcome that move.”Mr Skerrit also revealed that another Caribbean country that has shown interest in becoming a shareholder of LIAT.“The question I want to ask those in Dominica who are opposed to this is why should Dominica always wait for it to be the last to do something and while we appreciate that we are joining LIAT at a time when our economies are not doing very well in the region, one has to appreciate the impact of the wider economy from a sustainable standpoint if LIAT were to curtail its services to Dominica,” he said.He says “the current situation facing the airline in respect to industrial action by its pilots is even more reason to maintain our resolve to become shareholders of LIAT.”Dominica Vibes News Share Tweet LocalNews Dominica stands to benefit from shares in LIAT – PM Skerrit by: – December 19, 2011 Sharing is caring! Share Share 28 Views one comment
The outcome puts the Coyotes within two points of first-place Edmonton in the tightly-packed Pacific Division.Elsewhere on NHL ice:— Evgenii Dadonov (dah-DAH’-nahv) notched his 24th goal and Mike Hoffman added his 22nd as the Panthers downed the Sharks, 5-3 in San Jose. Anton Stralman and Vincent Trochek (TROH’-chehk) added goals in the final three minutes to secure Florida’s first win in three games. Aaron Ekblad had two assists and Sergei Bobrovsky (boh-BRAHF’-skee) stopped 29 shots for Florida.— Andrew Mangiapane (man-jah-PAN’-ee) had three goals and an assist in leading the Flames to a 6-4 victory over the Ducks. Matthew Tkachuk had a goal and an assist for Calgary, which trailed 3-1 early in the third period. Sam Bennett and Sean Monahan also scored to back Cam Talbot, who made 26 stops.NBA-NEWS The ACC issued a statement saying the league had “unanimously concluded that as a matter of principle we support a one-time transfer opportunity for all student-athletes, regardless of sport.” The conference added that it looks forward to continuing the discussion nationally.CBS Sports reported last month that the Big Ten had proposed legislation in October that would allow undergraduates in any sport to transfer without sitting out to satisfy the typical requirement that they spend a year in residence at their new school.The NCAA’s Division I Board of Directors implemented a moratorium Nov. 1 on transfer-related proposals for the 2019-20 legislative cycle while additional data was gathered for review, meaning any proposals likely couldn’t be adopted until 2021.NHL-NEWSSabres suspend Bogosian Associated Press Browns cut Carrie, 3 othersCLEVELAND (AP) — Cleveland Browns new general manager Andrew Berry cleared $13 million in salary-cap space Monday by releasing veteran cornerback T.J. Carrie and three others signed by former GM John Dorsey.The 29-year-old Carrie played in all 32 games over the past two seasons after being signed as a free agent. He had 125 tackles, two interceptions and two sacks.Along with Carrie, Cleveland terminated the contracts of tight end Demetrius Harris, guard Eric Kush and linebacker Adarius Taylor.LPGA-OBIT-MICKEY WRIGHT NHL-SCHEDULECoyotes nip bumbling IslesUNDATED (AP) — The New York Islanders began their four-game road trip within five points of the NHL’s Metropolitan Division. There are now in danger of returning home on the outside of Eastern Conference playoff positioning.The Islanders are 0-3 on the trip after Antti Raanta (AN’-tee RAHN’-tah) stopped 25 shots and Conor Garland scored his team-leading 20th goal in Arizona’s 2-1 victory over New York. Garland became Arizona’s first 20-goal scorer of the season with a one-timer in the third, giving the Coyotes a 2-0 lead.The Isles hadn’t scored on the trip until Anthony Beauvillier (boh-VIH’-lee-ay) beat Raanta with 13:18 remaining. The goal didn’t stop the Islanders from suffering a third straight regulation loss for the first time this season. Hamlin joined six Hall of Fame drivers as winners of three or more Daytona 500s. This victory came after just the second rain postponement in 62 years, a pair of red flag stoppages and two overtimes.As Hamlin went door-to-door with Ryan Blaney for the finish, Ryan Newman took a wild ride along the track when he was crashed trying to hold onto the lead. Newman’s car flipped several times and was engulfed in flames as it crossed the finish line on its roof.Newman’s condition was not immediately known as safety workers rolled his car back onto its wheels before he was removed. Newman was taken by ambulance to a hospital.The 0.014 margin of victory was the second closest in race history.Chris Buescher finished third, followed by Dave Ragan and Kevin Harvick. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNASCAR-DAYTONA 500Racing at DaytonaDAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Denny Hamlin has become the first driver to win back-to-back Daytona 500s since Sterling Marlin in 1994 and ’95. The top-ranked Bears claimed 48 of 63 first-place votes, the No. 2 Bulldogs picked up 14 and the third-rated Jayhawks claimed the other No. 1 vote. Kansas and Baylor will square off Saturday in Waco.Dayton, Duke, Maryland, Florida State, Penn State and Kentucky round out the top 10, with Louisville dropping from fifth to 11th with Saturday’s 15-point loss at Clemson.COLLEGE SPORTS-TRANSFERS-ACCACC supports one-time transfers without sitting outGREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — The Atlantic Coast Conference has joined the Big Ten in saying it supports one-time transfers without sitting out for all sports. February 17, 2020 Also around the NBA:— Ratings for the NBA All-Star Game were up 8% over last year, with an average of 7.3 million viewers watching Sunday night’s broadcast on TNT. About 8 million viewers were tuned in for the end of the game, where LeBron James’ team defeated Giannis Antetokounmpo’s team 157-155 in the first target-score format in All-Star history. The fourth quarter was untimed and was broadcast commercial-free.COLLEGE BASKETBALL-POLLBaylor, Gonzaga, Kansas still lead the wayUNDATED (AP) — Baylor, Gonzaga, Kansas and San Diego remain the top 4 teams in the newest Associated Press men’s basketball poll. UNDATED (AP) — The Atlanta Braves have extended the contracts of manager Brian Snitker and general manager Alex Anthopoulos.Anthopoulos also has been given an additional title of president, baseball operations, while his contract is extended through the 2024 season.Snitker and his coaching staff have received extensions through the 2021 season.The Braves have won two consecutive NL East titles under Anthopoulos and Snitker.Also around the majors: Former LPGA golfer Mickey Wright dead at 85FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Hall of Fame golfer Mickey Wright has died. Her attorney says she died Monday of a heart attack at the age of 85. She had been hospitalized in recent weeks because of a fall.Wright won 82 LPGA tournaments, including 13 majors. She joined the fledgling LPGA in 1955 and her 82 wins place her second on the all-time list behind Kathy Whitworth, who won 88. She retired from the tour in 1969 because of foot issues.MLB-NEWSBraves extend contracts of Snitker, Anthopoulos Beilein pondering future with CavsUNDATED (AP) — Cleveland Cavaliers head coach John Beilein (BEE’-lyn) has discussed with team officials the possibility of him stepping down before the end of the season.ESPN.com first reported the possibility of Beilein leaving the team before the end of the season on Sunday night as the All-Star Game wrapped up in Chicago. The team is 14-40 amid reports that players have not been pleased with Beilein’s coaching style, calling it simplistic with too much emphasis on fundamentals.Beilein went 829-468 as a college coach. He won 428 games at Michigan, leading the Wolverines to nine NCAA tournament appearances and two Final Fours in his 12 seasons.If Beilein does step down, associate head coach JB Bickerstaff would likely replace him. UNDATED (AP) — The Buffalo Sabres have suspended defenseman Zach Bogosian for failing to report to the minors.The team announced the suspension two days after the 12-year NHL veteran cleared waivers and was assigned to Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester, New York.Bogosian now risks losing out on what’s left of the $6 million he is owed in the final year of his contract.The developments come a little over a week before the NHL’s trade deadline on Feb. 24, and some three months after Bogosian requested to be traded.NFL-BROWNS Update on the latest in sports: — Astros pitcher Francis Martes has been suspended for the 2020 season following his second positive test for a performance-enhancing substance. The 24-year-old right-hander is on the Astros’ 40-man major league roster but hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2017. He was suspended last March 12 for 80 games following a positive test for Clomiphene.— Houston backup infielder Aledmys (ah-LEHD’-meed) Díaz has gone to arbitration seeking $2.6 million compared to the same $2 million salary he earned last year. Díaz hit .271 for the AL champions with nine homers and 40 RBIs in 247 plate appearances over 69 games last season.— Angels owner Arte Moreno acknowledges he scrapped the proposed trade that would have landed Joc Pederson and Ross Stripling from the Dodgers. Both veterans likely would have played immediately for the Angels, but Moreno called off the talks around the deal while the Dodgers’ blockbuster deal with Boston was delayed for several days. Moreno also says the Angels can make an even bigger trade for an elite starting pitcher if they get a chance this season.
The attention of the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) has been drawn to the recent press release dated 6th May 2014 issued by the Ga Traditional Council (GTC) captioned “no boxing event during the traditional lent period’.The contents of the said release are most unfortunate and constitute a blatant attempt by the GTC not only to mislead the public but also to arrogate to itself powers it does not have.The GTC has no power or authority to cancel or cause the postponement of any boxing event in the country. The GBA does not operate under the auspices of the GTC and neither does the GBA report to the GTC in the performance of its functions.The venue for the Bukom Banku and Ayitey Powers fight ie. the Accra Sports Stadium does not even fall within the territorial jurisdiction of the GTC in so far as the enforcement of the ban on drumming and noise making is concerned. It is therefore surprising that inspite of the recent compromise reached by the GBA with the Osu Stool to bring the fight originally scheduled for 16th May 2014 to a day earlier ie. 15th May 2014 the GTC is still bent on disrupting this public event for sinister and ulterior motives.The GBA therefore has no intention of complying with any such directive coming particularly from a body which has absolutely nothing to do with the promotion or development of the sport of boxing. For this reason the GBA is asking boxing fans and the general public to ignore that press release. The GBA hereby confirms that the fight between Bukom Banku and Ayitey Powers will surely take place at the Accra Sports Stadium on Thursday the 15th day of May 2014.In this regard the GBA is putting in place the necessary arrangements with the National Sports Authority, the Ghana Police Service and the relevant security agencies to put in place measures aimed at providing adequate security for the protection of boxing fans and members of the general public who will throng the Accra Sports Stadium to watch the fight from possible harassment by any misguided or lawless group of persons who will attempt to forment any trouble on the day of the fight. The GBA is deeply saddened by the defamatory statement made by the GTC to effect that the promotion of the is fight is being undertaken by scheming business people who are only bent on fattening their bank accounts. The Promoter of the fight Mr. Alex Ntiamoah a born and bred resident of Bukom and his sponsors are doing a yeomans job in collaboration with the GBA to uplift the image of professional boxing in Ghana so as to attract more corporate sponsors to the sport and it is most unfortunate and ironic that the leaders of the very people from whose constituency most of our boxers hail should show such ingratitude to their benefactors by making these negative remarks.For its part the GBa has in consultation with the Promoters of the fight and other stakeholders begun a programme to educate members of the public particularly those from Bukom and Jamestown the territorial jurisdiction of the GTC on the need to observe the ban in their vicinities on the fight night. The GBA therefore invites the GTC to join hands with it in this endeavour so that its fears will be allayed and its concerns addressed. Thank youPETER ZWENNESPRESIDENT, GHANA BOXING AUTHORITY