KPAI urges govt to decide who gets custody of orphaned children of IS affiliates

first_img“If the closest relatives cannot take care of them, the children must be adopted by another family, or put under the state’s custody if no one can take them,” Retno went on to say.Citing data from the United States’ Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Mahfud MD previously said that some 689 Indonesians had been identified as IS sympathizers in Syria and Turkey, as well as other countries.Read also: Why Indonesia should bring IS families back homeAccording to the data, some 228 people still hold identification as Indonesian citizens while others do not have proper documents to prove their citizenship. Indonesian authorities have previously suggested that most of the Indonesian IS supporters were women and children. While asserting that the government banned Indonesian affiliates of IS from returning to Indonesia, President Joko “Jokowi” said the government was mulling a plan to bring home orphans under 10 years old.“But so far we still don’t know if there are any,” Jokowi said recently.Retno expressed appreciation for the President’s willingness to bring orphans back to Indonesia, but criticized his decision to limit the age to those under 10 years old.“According to the 2014 law on child protection, anyone below the age of 18 is considered a child,” Retno said. (hol)Topics : The government must decide who will take care of the orphaned children of Indonesian nationals who joined the Islamic State (IS) movement in Syria when they return to Indonesia, the Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI) has said.“The government must decide who will get custody of these children when they arrive in Indonesia,” KPAI commissioner Retno Listyarti said on Friday, as quoted by kompas.com.She added the government was obliged to put the children in the custody of their closest relatives according to Government Regulation (PP) No. 44/2017 on foster care for children.last_img read more

Coach rejects BBC claims

first_imgThe Portland-based coach has responded to a BBC documentary that claims he broke anti-doping rules while coaching American, Galen Rupp.Salazar – who also coaches double Olympic champion Mo Farah – says the edition of Panorama is the result of “inaccurate journalism” and shows a “complete lack of regard” for both Rupp and Farah.last_img

Ghana hails exciting new talent

first_imgThe emergence of exciting young players is not a new phenomenon in Ghana.Over the years, many youngsters have burst onto the stage amid shouts of, “he’s the next legend!”Sadly, many of them have flattered to deceive while others have sunk without trace.But in Christian Atsu the Black Stars have a player of undoubted ability, an excellent prospect, whose movement with the ball at his feet is exceptional.If the 19-year-old goes on to become a football great, many will remember 8 September 2012 as the day he officially announced his arrival.That is the day Atsu – who plays for FC Porto in Portugal – made only his third appearance for Ghana against Malawi in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Accra. Although he impressed in two previous matches against Lesotho and China, it was against the Flames that Atsu made people sit up and take more notice of him.His first touch was a thing of beauty – gliding past opposition defenders with remarkable ease – and his overall use of the ball was so mature for someone so young.Continue reading the main story“For anyone to dribble, the first touch has to be perfect”Christian Atsu Ghana international playerAt some point we thought we were watching a reincarnation of the legendary Abedi Pele, especially when Atsu had the ball glued to his left foot while running at and scaring Malawian defenders. Flare, movement and technical skill all intertwined into a Ghanaian football machine?Naturally, many Black Stars fans, thrilled by his goal against Malawi, went on social media to hail the arrival of the ‘Ghanaian Messi’.Not that being compared with the Barcelona magician unsettles Atsu.“Messi is my idol. There’s no Ghanaian Messi, there is no other Messi in this world,” he told BBC Sport.“I can never play even one percent of what Messi is doing. It’s impossible.” Two goals in his first four games for Ghana suggest an eye for goal but Atsu believes his biggest quality lies elsewhere.“For anyone to dribble, the first touch has to be perfect. I think that is my biggest quality.”Not many who have seen him in action would disagree with that self-assessment.Having begun his football education at the Feyernood Academy in Ghana, Atsu earned a contract with FC Porto in 2010 and was immediately loaned out to Rio Ave.Twenty-seven appearances and six goals later, national team officials came knocking on his door. Ghanaian football connoisseurs, fans and fellow-players are unanimous in their belief that Atsu has a bright future ahead of him.“Ghanaians shouldn’t put too much pressure on him,” cautions Black Stars striker Dede Ayew.The 2011 BBC African Footballer of the year added: “I believe that he’s going to be a great player.”Asamoah Gyan has also seen enough to be excited about: “I’ve seen all three games that he has played for Ghana and he’s been incredible.“If he continues this way he’s going to be a star.”last_img read more

Patriots owner Robert Kraft calls Donald Trump ‘divisive and horrible’ in leaked recording from 2017 meeting

first_imgPatriots owner Robert Kraft was never on the same page as President Donald Trump when it came to players protesting racial injustice at NFL games.In a leaked audio recording from a 2017 NFL meeting, Kraft can be heard criticizing Trump for being “divisive and horrible.” The meeting came one month after Trump ripped “son of a bitch” protestors for kneeling during the national anthem and disrespecting the American flag. MORE: Watch highlights from Colin Kaepernick’s workout”I must tell you, I think these dialogues are great,” Kraft said in a recording shared by TMZ. “But the elephant in the room now, in my opinion, is this kneeling, which every player has a right to do if they feel it’s right. The problem we have is, we have a president that will use that as fodder to do his mission that I don’t feel is in the best interest of the matter.”It’s divisive, and it’s horrible. And it’s actually the opposite of what you all are trying to do.”Kraft added that the NFL had “lost the message to America” because nearly half of the population would be on Trump’s side. “I just hope one of the things that can come out of here is that we find a way to be unified, and be able to carry through and follow through,” Kraft said. About 30 people attended the meeting, including owners, executives and players, according to The New York Times. Team owners were reportedly focused on finding a way to avoid Trump’s disapproval and warned players not to get drawn into a war of words with the president.Despite all of the controversy at the time, this disagreement doesn’t seem to have hurt Kraft’s longtime friendship with Trump.Kraft praised Trump during a February interview with Fox News, saying he’s “working very hard to serve the best interests of the country.” Kraft also sat at Trump’s table during an official state dinner in July, according to Business Insider.last_img read more

Colm Feore joins cast of new CBC drama 21 Thunder

first_imgIt’s produced by PMA Productions and Generic Productions and was created by Riley Adams (Flashpoint), Kenneth Hirsch (Extraordinary Canadians) and Adrian Wills (The Surrogacy Trap).By Debra Yeo Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: The series is in production in Montreal and will premiere on CBC in summer 2017.It also stars Stephanie Bennett (Descendants), former Scottish footballer Ryan Pierce (who played as Ryan O’Leary), RJ Fetherstonhaugh (Wayward Pines), Emmanuel Kabongo (Hemlock Grove), Andres Joseph (The Flash) and Conrad Pla (19-2). He has been a U.S. general, a 15th-century cardinal and a presidential spouse — and those are just his TV roles. Now prolific Canadian-American actor Colm Feore is taking on big city crime boss in a new CBC-TV drama.Feore, also known for numerous movie roles and for his stage work with the Stratford Festival, has joined the cast of 21 Thunder, described as a series about “the fiercely competitive and high-stakes world of an under-21 soccer academy in Montreal.”Feore has been cast as Declan Gallard, an imprisoned crime boss trying to reconcile with his son, who plays for the academy, according to a news release.center_img Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Twitterlast_img read more