South Korea starts virus checks on 200,000-plus sect members

first_imgThe vast majority — more than 80 percent — of Wednesday’s new infections were in Daegu and the neighboring province of North Gyeongsang, which between them account for the bulk of the national total.An American soldier stationed at Camp Carroll 30 kilometers north of Daegu tested positive for the virus, commanders said, the first infection among the 28,500 troops Washington stations in the South to defend it against the nuclear-armed North.The 23-year-old serviceman had been put in self-quarantine at his home, US Forces Korea said, adding it was conducting “contact tracing” to determine whether other soldiers had been exposed.The streets of Daegu — population of 2.5 million — have been largely deserted for days, apart from long queues at the few shops with masks for sale.Authorities have urged the public to exercise extra caution, advising citizens to stay home if they have a fever or respiratory symptoms. But they say they are not considering putting the city in lockdown the way China did for Wuhan, where the virus first emerged.Scores of events have been cancelled or postponed as the outbreak has spread in the world’s 12th-largest economy, from K-pop concerts to the start of the K-league football season and the World Team Table Tennis championships, while museums and other public venues have closed.In Daegu, Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun told a meeting the government would “mobilize all resources and means” to try to control the outbreak.South Korea has an advanced medical system, a free press and a strong culture of public accountability, and observers say that its health statistics can be treated with confidence. Topics : More than 200,000 members of a religious sect were being checked for coronavirus symptoms by South Korean authorities Wednesday, as US commanders reported the first case among American forces in the country.Most of South Korea’s novel coronavirus are linked to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, an entity often accused of being a cult.After days of mounting public anger, the secretive Shincheonji group handed over a list of 212,000 members, the government said.center_img Local authorities across the country — which has more coronavirus cases than anywhere else outside China — will check if they have symptoms of fever or respiratory disease and put them in quarantine at home if so, said vice health minister Kim Gang-lip.Shincheonji claims its founder Lee Man-hee has donned the mantle of Jesus Christ and will take 144,000 people with him to heaven on the day of judgment.A 61-year-old female member developed a fever on February 10, but attended at least four church services in Daegu — the country’s fourth-largest city and the epicenter of the outbreak — before being diagnosed.The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) reported 284 new infections Wednesday — its largest daily increase to date —  taking the overall national tally to 1,261, with the death toll rising to 12.last_img read more

UAE’s ADNOC pledges to increase oil supply amid price war

first_imgUAE’s oil giant ADNOC has decided to step up its efforts and produce more oil, pledging to increase supply to over 4 million barrels per day in April 2020 following the collapse of the OPEC+ agreement and the oil price war between Saudi Arabia and Russia.Source: ADNOCIn a statement on Wednesday ADNOC Group CEO, Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber, said: “In line with our production capacity growth strategy announced by the Supreme Petroleum Council, we are in a position to supply the market with over 4 MMBPD in April. In addition, we will accelerate our planned 5 MMBPD capacity target.”ADNOC also said it would provide better forward visibility to its customers and that it would shortly announce forward prices for the months of March and April 2020.“This decision has been made to ensure that our customers have visibility of the price so they can plan accordingly,” ADNOC CEO said.“As announced in November 2019, ADNOC remains firmly committed to moving from its current retroactive pricing mechanism to a new forward pricing mechanism for its flagship Murban crude oil. This will be traded on a new independent exchange, ICE Futures Abu Dhabi (IFAD), which is expected to launch after the necessary regulatory approvals are obtained.”ADNOC’s decision to boost oil output comes after OPEC and Russia last week failed to agree on further production cuts in order to cope with falling global oil demand as a result of coronavirus outbreak.OPEC suggested the extension of oil production cuts until the end of the year and further cuts until June 2020, but Russia refused to support this plan pushing OPEC to remove all limits on its own production, Reuters reported last Friday.As a result, oil prices suffered a historic collapse last Monday after Saudi Arabia shocked the market by launching a price war against onetime ally Russia.With the decision to increase output, UAE’s ADNOC has joined the state-run Saudi Aramco which, according to Reuters, plans to raise capacity to 13 million bpd from 12 million bpd.Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Also, if you’re interested in showcasing your company, product, or technology on Offshore Energy Today, please contact us via our advertising form where you can also see our media kit.last_img read more

New York to revisit having fans at games, make final decision before season

first_img Comments Published on July 23, 2020 at 1:24 pm Contact Danny: dremerma@syr.edu | @DannyEmerman The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.New York state is expected to make a final decision by early September on whether fans can attend college sports events.The final decision is expected prior to the Orange’s Sept. 4 season opener at Boston College. Rich Azzopardi, a senior aide to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, told Syracuse.com that any policy change would account for new information or trends regarding the coronavirus pandemic.“When it gets closer to the season starting, we’ll be making another determination,” Azzopardi said. “Everything is based on the infection rate and where the world is.”Azzopardi’s response comes two days after Cuomo ordered all colleges in the state to prohibit fans from sporting events this fall in accordance with the state’s existing guidelines against large social gatherings. The state has also banned fans at professional sporting events — at both outdoor and indoor venues — and tailgating.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyracuse was planning on filling the newly renovated Carrier Dome this fall with fans in some capacity. SU Director of Athletics John Wildhack said in a statement that the university will seek clarification on Cuomo’s order. COVID-19 cases are trending upward in 39 states, and the country’s total number of hospitalizations on Wednesday nearly surpassed the high of 60,000 patients previously set in April, according to The New York Times. California, Texas, Idaho and Alabama reported record-high daily death tolls Wednesday.The curve of COVID-19 infections in central New York has been largely flattened, though, and Onondaga County has been in its fourth phase of reopening for almost a month. Still, Azzopardi fears that allowing fans at sporting events could attract individuals from outside of the country and make the region prone to a cluster of cases.“An infection in Texas is as good as an infection here,” Azzopardi told Syracuse.com. “This virus does not respect borders. It does not respect a particular event. We’re constantly looking at the science.”As of now, the college football season is still set to occur in some form. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have announced conference-only schedules. Syracuse is tasked with replacing Rutgers and Colgate on its schedule or follow an alternative plan laid out by the ACC.“The health and safety of our student-athletes, our fans, our campus community and the broader Central New York community is our chief priority,” Wildhack said in a July 21 statement.center_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more