SAIL capacity to be raised to 50 mtpa in two phases

first_imgNew Delhi: The expansion of SAIL’s production capacity to 50 million tonne per annum (mtpa) will be done in two phases, company’s Chairman Anil Kumar Chaudhary has said. In December 2018, Chaudhary announced an expansion plan for the company. He had said that by 2030-31, the PSU would ramp up production capacity to 50 MTPA from about 21.4 MTPA at present. “The expansion will be in two phases. In the first phase, we intend to reach 35 MTPA by 2025-2026, and the rest 15 MTPA in the second phase will be completed by March 31, 2031,” he said. Also Read – SC declines Oil Min request to stay sharing of documentsHe further said the country needs steel over a period of time and as demand grows the supply grows too. “In steel industry, 100 per cent capacity utilisation takes time. It takes at least three years for the capacity to be ramped up. In first year 50 per cent can be achieved, In second year 70 per cent, In third year 90 per cent and then may be in fourth year you see 100 per cent capacity utilisation,” the chairman said. According to an industry expert, to add 1 million tonne of capacity, it would cost around Rs 6,000 crore. SAIL, under Ministry of Steel, is the country’s largest steel producer. The PSU has set 17.5 million tonne steel production as target for the new financial year. The company produced 16.3 MT of crude steel during 2018-19 financial year, registering a rise of 8 per cent over the previous year.last_img read more

UNICEF starts talks on child disarmament in Central African Republic

Discussions have started with the full support of the Government of CAR, which has engaged in talks with the UNICEF since the first UN assessment mission in the Vakaga region identified armed children among the ranks of non-State armed groups in January, the agency said in a news release.General Damane Zakaria, head and founder of the Assembly of the Union of Democratic Forces (UFDR) rebel group that controls parts of north-eastern CAR, close to Sudan’s troubled Darfur region, has agreed on releasing some 400 children, UNICEF said. A first list of 220 child soldiers has been given to UNICEF last week.“This UNICEF programme not only contributes significantly to children’s welfare, but also helps resolve one of CAR’s most pressing problems,” said the agency’s CAR Humanitarian Coordinator, Toby Lanzer. UNICEF is now entering into negotiations with the Government of CAR to study the feasibility of a release agreement after the UFDR has agreed to sign a final commitment in the coming weeks.The Representative of UNICEF in CAR, Mahimbo Mdoe, thanked the Government for its openness and support in this process. “It is imperative for UNICEF to move fast to free these children from this environment of violence.”Under UNICEF’s plan, communities will be supported and social services rehabilitated to welcome the released children and to facilitate their reintegration back into their families.The UNICEF programme will also extend to all the children of northeast CAR, who will benefit from stepped-up health care, schooling and recreation activities, protection and security. Nearly 300,000 people have had to flee their homes in the CAR over the past year because of fighting, banditry and rebel attacks. UN officials have warned that the conflict in Sudan’s Darfur region is threatening to engulf the CAR as well as Chad. 21 May 2007The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has started talks with rebel groups in the Central African Republic (CAR) to secure the release of hundreds of child soldiers so they can return to their families, with 220 already freed so far. read more